Do you have Pastoral Care Insurance?

What you may not know about Pastoral care

It is vital to get specialist advice to ensure that you are fully protected for the spiritual and emotional advice you provide. Whilst liability insurance can be purchased through numerous suppliers, some insurance policies will not extend to include pastoral care.

Pastoral care would include befriending, encouraging, listening and supporting both the church congregation and members of the public. It is used to help individuals through any season in their lives but should not be confused with counselling.

In order to protect your church against claims arising from advice given in a pastoral care capacity, this cover should be included within your insurances.  This will ensure that in the event that you are found to be held legally liable for third party injury or property damage you will have the cover. If you are providing counselling or advice that goes beyond pastoral care, e.g. debt advice, you would need to arrange a more appropriate professional indemnity policy.

The public liability section of church or charity insurance policy may extend to include pastoral care insurance. If you are unsure whether your current policy extends to include this cover, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with us so on 020 8651 7420 so that we can review this for you.

[gravityform id=”1″ name=”Feedback Form” title=”false” description=”false”]

share Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someone

Simon Hickman

View more posts from this author